The Crashdown of Crabula

My bronchitis is almost gone. It’s been a strange bout, since it did not gradually build up and gradually go away. However, I’m glad it’s over for the most part, because I have a business trip in Florida from Wednesday to Saturday and don’t want to be sick.

It was quite hot today, and after finding out that the Metro New York Ballon & Music Festival would put us back at least $75 with admission and the cost of food, Lexcie and I decided to go to the beach instead. We couldn’t find the sand toys before we left, so we went to CVS to buy some new ones. However, CVS’ stock was cheaply made and expensive, so we decided to buy a $1 spatula and $1.49 tumbler instead. Lexcie wanted some cardboard to stabalize sandcastle tunnels, so we hijacked some boxes from behind Boston Market.

The drive to the beach took an hour instead of 15 minutes, due to an accident and subsequent congestion on the Robert Moses Causeway. We had planned on going to Robert Moses Field 5 to meet my sister and her family, but by then, Field 5 was closed to overcrowding and we had to go to Field 4. (Turns out my sister was at Field 4 anyways, but we walked in the opposite direction.) We set up camp near the water, and began building the transit-oriented village of Crabula. While Lexcie dug a foot-and-a-half subway tunnel using a tunnel boring machine (the spatula), I built condos using the tumbler. When finished, the sand-village was made up of two subway tunnels, an open subway station (complete with a platform), three tumbler townhomes on top of the right-of-way and thre high-rise tumbler condos. A moat and a levy protected the village, which was aptly named after I found a singular blue crab leg while swimming and put it on top of one of the townhomes.

The tide started rising, so it was time to see what the Village of Crabula was made of. It survived about five waves before the moat became oversaturated and stopped channeling water away from the village perimeter. However, the subway station prevailed, and even as the lowest point in the village, it did not collect water (take that, New York City Transit).  One of the tunnels, however, did get blocked by a wayward Ziplock bag.

We then dug some more holes and built up the levy a little more, which worked for about three waves. But then one tidal wave proved too strong for the levy, which then washed away. We decided to stop building and hoped for the best. And the little subway station, townhouses and condos held strong.

But the tide kept getting higher, and water began gushing into the station, collapsing both tunnels. Then the condos sucummbed. That was followed by a tsunami, which totally wiped out the subway station and two of the townhomes. The Little Crabula Townhome That Could, which proudly held the abandoned crab leg, held on until the very last moment, when it slowly washed away as the wave pulled back into the sea.

And that’s what you get when a transit planner and real estate journalist build sandcastles.

The Village of Crabula  The Village of Crabula  The Crabula Subway Tunnel

The Crabula Subway Tunnel  The Mote Protects Crabula

Leave a Reply